Information for Carers

What is the definition of a carer? 

If you offer care to any one over the age of 18 years old and don’t get paid for this you are considered to be a carer and can ask for a carers assessment. When we use the word care some examples could be:

  • Giving medicines
  • Helping with washing, dressing, eating
  • Taking them to their appointments
  • Housework
  • Financial help
  • Keeping them company when they may be feelings lonely, anxious or unwell. 

Might you be entitled to a carers assessment?

You can ask for an assessment even if the person you are caring for isn’t getting help from Adult Services. You don’t need to ask the person that you are caring for, to give you permission to get a carers assessment. If the person you are caring for is being assessed by Adult Services, you can ask that your needs be taken into consideration in this assessment.

What is meant by the term Abuse?

Abuse is the mistreatment of an adult that may be vulnerable to risk, that violates a person’s human and civil rights. The abuse can vary, from treating someone with disrespect in a way that significantly affects the person’s quality of life, to causing actual physical or mental suffering. For an easy read guide to adult abuse follow this link. Or click on the link to the right side of this page called Adult Abuse – easy read. 

What do we mean by an adult who may be vulnerable to risk?

Anybody over the age of 18 years old who may need care or support because they:

  • have a physical or sensory disability
  • have a learning disability
  • have mental health needs
  • are a frail older person
  • and/or are unable to protect themselves against harm or exploitation.

Where can abuse happen?

Abuse can happen anywhere? For example:

  • In someone's home
  • In a residential or nursing home
  • In a hospital
  • At work
  • At a day centre or college
  • In supported housing
  • In the street

Who might do abusive things?

Not all of these people harm adults, but it is possible. Sometimes the person abusing you could be someone that you already know? They might be:

  • A friend, relative or neighbour
  • Another resident living where you live
  • Someone supporting you
  • Someone working for you to help in your home, help with your independence skills or a personal assistant
  • A paid carer in a residential centre or home care service

Sometimes abuse occurs through people you don’t know. Sometimes strangers will:

  • Befriend vulnerable people with the intention of exploiting them
  • Pretend to be from real businesses like services or utilities
  • Intimidate or bully to get someone to make payments that they don’t want to or don’t understand.

In an emergency

If you think that someone is at immediate risk you should call the police on:

  • 999 

Adult Social Care

Adult Social Care  have a team of professionals that are there to help carers. If you are worried about a vulnerable adult you can ring 01624 685969 during office hours and 01624 650000 out of office hours.